Saturday, January 24, 2009

Beginning Reading to Baby


By Andrea Jeppesen

“It’s never too early to begin reading to your baby.” I tried to read to my newborn, Jonas, but lagged off a little until he was about 4 months old (and I could get my feet on the ground). When I finally began reading to Jonas again, I was surprised at how attentive he was to books.


Here are a few reasons why experts say that “It’s never too early . . ."


  • from the moment babies are born, they are learning the different sounds of the human language

  • talking and reading to your baby can help her prepare for later reading activities

  • reading can be part of a wonderful nap/bedtime routine

  • a routine early on, will help make reading to your growing baby a natural part of the day

  • Babies love:


  • simple, brightly colored shapes (newborns can easily distinguish between black and white contrast)

  • rhythm

  • rhyme

  • repetition

  • Some of my favorite baby books:


  • Black on White by Tara Hoban (contrast, simple shapes)

  • White on Black by Tara Hoban (contrast, simple shapes)

  • Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (rhythm, rhyme, repetition)

  • Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins (rhythm, rhyme, repetition)

  • Hush, Little Baby by Sylvia Long (rhythm, rhyme, repetition)

  • What are some books that your baby has enjoyed?

    2 comments:

    1. We love The Big Red Barn, by Margret Wise Brown

      ReplyDelete
    2. Reciting poetry from memory was a lifesaver to me during those arduous hours in the dark during nighttime feedings or while rocking the baby to sleep. It gave my tired brain something to do and Charlotte responded to the rhythms the first week of life.
      I recommend starting with "The Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll
      We have also enjoyed Tennyson, Mother Goose, Chaucer, cummings, and Hopkins.

      ReplyDelete